About ICF Homes and Walls:
Insulated Concrete Forms or ICF's are molds that have built in insulation and are filled with rebar and concrete. These forms stack together to create a structurally sound wall that is insulated, has a vapor barrier and can easily accommodate all types of exterior and interior finishes.
ICF Homes can be designed and built to look like any other home, the only real difference is that the exterior walls are about 12" thick compared to 6" on a wood framed home. ICF homes are more solid, quiet, energy efficient, and durable than a wood framed home. They tend to cost more to build, but should pay for themselves with energy savings.
Benefits of ICF Systems to the Homeowner:
ICF HOME | ICF BUILDING | ICF WALL | ICF HOUSE | ICF BUILDER | CONCRETE HOME BUILDING | CONCRETE HOUSE
• Energy Efficiency - The most common sited benefit of ICF wall systems is that it is superior in energy efficiency. Not only does it keep the cold or hot outside air from coming in, it keeps your air conditioned or heated air from going out. Suddenly, your air conditioner and heater barely have to run to keep your interior air at your optimal temperature. What does this mean for you? You can save 50-80% on your energy bill, depending on the doors, windows, roofing, etc.
• Strength - ICF wall systems are rated to withstand extreme weather conditions, including tornados and hurricanes. They can endure winds in excess of 140 miles per hour. In addition, they are rated safe for earthquake zones (up to zone 4), as well.
• Durability - These walls will not settle, crack, warp, rot, mildew, rust of even vibrate when you slam a door. They do not provide food for insects (like termites, for example), mold, or vermin.
• Quiet - ICF wall systems decrease the amount of sound that comes in from the outside by over half. It is the quietest building material on the market.
• Comfortable - ICF wall systems result in an even temperature distribution throughout the house from floor to ceiling. There is less than two degrees Fahrenheit variation in an ICF Home, compared to conventional homes that vary anywhere from five to ten degrees Fahrenheit. According to ASHRAE (American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air Conditioning Engineers) points to uneven temperature distribution as a leading factor in people feeling uncomfortable. The "feel" of ICF Homes is unsurpassed in comfort.
• Cleaner Air - ICF Home systems prevent draft and air infiltration, meaning they prevent airborne contaminants. This is great for a homeowner because not only does it reduce allergens but dust, as well.
• Environmentally-Friendly - Aside from it reducing energy consumption due to heating and cooling, it also reduces construction waste. Each and every form will remain on the ICF Home or Building. There is no construction waste resulting from this system whatsoever aside from the small amounts of packaging. So, not only are they a pleasure to you, but they are a benefit to the environment.
• Fire Retardant - ICF systems can resist fires for up to four hours. Even when it starts to burn, the smoke is less toxic than burning wood.
•Bullet Proof - Standing behind a concrete wall will shield you from any flying objects, including bullets. Sure, the chances are slim, but this is an added bonus.
• Possible Premium Reductions - Many insurance companies offer a premium reduction for homes with ICF system walls.
ICF means Insulated Concrete Forms. ICF concrete home, ICF concrete building, ICF home foundation, and ICF construction is becoming a popular form of concrete construction, with good reason; ICF concrete homes & ICF concrete buildings are very solid, energy efficient, soundproof, and fire resistant. With today's innovative energy efficient home design, & ICF concrete home building systems, concrete home builders can build a beautiful ICF concrete house in any style, with all the added benefits of energy efficiency, safety, and peace and quiet. A commercial ICF concrete building will be stronger and a much more energy efficient building than an insulated block building. ICF construction is simply a better way to build a better home, commercial building or building foundation. Beautiful ICF concrete homes, and buildings, built to last. That's the beauty of today's concrete! WCS refers ICF contractors & ICF builders to help with your ICF plans, and build your ICF home, ICF concrete building, ICF foundation, or other ICF project. Contact us for up to 3 Free bids from WCS Approved Wisconsin concrete home builders on your ICF, energy efficient home plans.